Who said oatmeal had to be sweet? This savory steel cut oatmeal is a perfect breakfast-for-dinner meal. With the mushrooms and cheese, it tastes more like a delicious, comforting risotto than traditional oatmeal.
When reheating leftovers, add 1-2 Tbsp water to each serving before microwaving.
- Prep Time
1 ½ c steel cut oats
1 qt (4 c) chicken or vegetable broth
1 ½ c water or almond milk
3 c butternut squash, diced (about 1 lb)
10 oz baby bella mushrooms, washed and sliced (3-4 c)
¼ c chives, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 c shredded Swiss Gruyere cheese, plus more for serving
1 Tbsp butter
Eggs (1 per person)
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker except cheese, butter, and eggs and stir.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, stirring periodically if possible to keep oatmeal from sticking to sides of the slow cooker.
- When oatmeal is finished cooking (oats should be cooked and liquid mostly absorbed), turn off slow cooker and stir in 1 c shredded cheese.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 Tbsp butter. Crack one egg for each person you’re serving. When the whites have mostly set, flip each egg. Cook to desired doneness.
- Ladle oatmeal into bowls, topping each portion with a fried egg and extra shredded cheese.