This soup is creamy and comforting, but also chock full of veggies! It is seriously delicious. It’s also quite versatile—if there’s an ingredient you don’t like, leave it out or swap in something else.
Vegetarian: Substitute 2 cans cannellini beans (drained and rinsed) for sausage.
Gluten-free: Omit orzo or use gluten-free substitute.
Paleo: Omit orzo.
- Prep Time
½ lb ground Italian sausage
½ c onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp each dried basil and dried oregano
1/4 tsp each dried rosemary and dried thyme
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 1/2 c shredded carrots (about 3 carrots)
1/2 c celery, diced
1 bay leaf
1 14.5 oz-can fire roasted diced tomatoes
4 c (1 quart) vegetable broth
1 c water
3/4 c orzo
1 tsp salt
1 c half and half
3 c fresh spinach
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté Italian sausage and onion, until sausage is no longer pink and onion is translucent.
- Place sausage and onion mixture in a slow cooker. Add garlic, basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, tomato paste, carrots, celery, bay leaf, canned tomatoes, broth, water, orzo, and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for about 2-4 hours, or until orzo is tender.
- In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add half and half and spinach. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove bay leaf.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.