I love that the creaminess in this soup does not come from cream! The milk, corn, and cooked potato all make a really creamy, delicious soup.
Vegetarian: Omit ham.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
3 c water or chicken stock
24 oz frozen corn, thawed
3 c 1 % milk
½ c chopped red bell pepper
8 oz chopped ham
1 tsp dill weed
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, sauté onion in olive oil until golden.
- Add potatoes and water or stock (if using water, add ½ tsp salt). Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to simmer. Check after 5-10 minutes and remove from heat when potatoes are tender.
- Scoop half of the potato-onion mixture into a food processor or blender and puree (or scoop into a bowl and use an immersion blender). Scrape back into pot.
- Without washing the work bowl, puree 12 oz corn, adding milk to create a smooth mixture.
- Add corn puree to potato-onion mixture. Stir in whole corn, bell pepper, ham, and dill. Heat over medium heat and bring to gentle simmer (don’t boil). Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook gently for 5 minutes then serve.