Tousled, textured, wavy-like-you-just-don’t-care hair is the it hair look right now, and we love how effortless it really is to achieve. One of the key ingredients to creating the beachy style is with the magic of “sea salt spray,” a texturizing spray that makes your hair look and feel as if you’ve been hanging out on the sandy ocean shoreline all day. Store-bought salt sprays, such as the legendary Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray, get the job done but can create quite the dent in your wallet.
Professional makeup artist and hairstylist Jen Navaro with Jump Management gave us the secret to create your very own salt spray right at home. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon water-based hair gel
- 1/2 teaspoon leave-in conditioner
- 1/2 teaspoon argan oil (optional, for those with drier hair textures)
- 1 to 2 drops of essential oil of choice for fragrance (optional, but lavender, peppermint, and wild orange are my favorites if you want to give it a try!)
- Pot and stove top (or microwavable bowl or cup)
- Spray bottle that can hold more than a cup of water
- Utensil for stirring
- Measuring spoons
- Heat the cup of water in a pot or bowl until just before boiling, and remove from heat.
- Stir in the salt first until completely dissolved.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the mixture (hair gel, leave-in conditioner, argan oil, essential oil), and stir until all ingredients are completely combined.
- Allow to cool to room temperature, and then pour into a spray bottle.
- Give your sea salt spray a good shake.
HOW TO APPLY//
Salt spray can be applied to wet or dry hair. It’s important to note that you don’t want to spray your hair at the roots, but rather from two inches away from the roots all the way to the ends. Be sure to always shake up your spray before using, and two to three spritzes on each side of your head is a great start. Then, work your hair with your hands, scrunching and twisting to give it a little bend and texture. Add more salt spray—one to two sprays to each side at a time—and repeat scrunching until you reach your desired level of beachy texture. Using a blow-dryer to help speed up the hair scrunching process is a great idea if you need to scrunch and go!