Is your hair feeling a little dry after four frigid months of winter? Why not try skipping the chemical hair treatments and expensive salon products for a natural (and totally DIY) solution: coconut oil.
We've been hearing a lot of buzz about the magic of coconut oil for a while, and for good reason. How does this magical solution work? Multiple studies published in The Journal of Cosmetic Science have shown coconut oil's ability to penetrate through the outer layer of your hair, known as the cuticle, and condition from the inside, resulting in less protein loss in order to keep your hair healthy. These studies have also shown coconut oil can penetrate hair better than other oils (like sunflower or mineral oils), seal the ends, and smooth the cuticle. More research shows that coconut oil is antibacterial, antifungal, and moisturizing, meaning it not only conditions your hair but can protect your scalp against dandruff and lice.
Convinced yet? We used this recipe on our own distressed locks and thought it was one of the best we've tried. And did we mention a lot less expensive than a trip to the salon? Sign us up!
What you need:
Organic virgin coconut oil
Shower cap or towel
01. Heat about 3-5 tablespoons of coconut oil in a pot of water over a low flame.
02. When the coconut oil begins to liquefy, take it out of the pan and put in a smaller bowl.
03. Dampen your hair with warm water.
04. Scoop out the liquid coconut oil and begin applying to hair. Massage oil into scalp and then apply from top to bottom, making sure every strand is saturated, especially the ends.
06. Use the hair dryer for a couple of minutes to re-heat the coconut oil on your hair.
07. Clip hair up into a bun.
08. Keep oil in hair for 30 minutes.
09. Wash out the coconut oil with shampoo. Apply conditioner and rinse. (I've personally noticed best results when using an organic shampoo and conditioner.) Lather twice if the coconut oil is stubborn and won't come out.
Note: Don’t be surprised if your hair feels oily and heavy after your shower, this just means you didn’t shampoo it all out yet.
You will immediately notice how easy it is to comb through your tangled wet hair. With spring right around the corner, now is the perfect time to get your hair healthy and strong. Treat yourself to a coconut oil hair mask—your hair will thank you for it!