We all have those mornings (whether we got eight hours of sleep or not) when we wake up groggy and puffy-eyed—and hoping that our coworkers won't think we partied 'til dawn. The good news is you don't have to pile on concealer to squash questions! I have the low-down on how models and industry insiders come to work looking bright-eyed and bushy-tailed after a mid-week soiree. Here are your six easy steps to “morning person” trickery.
01. Wrap an ice pack, or a couple of ice cubes in a plastic bag, in a silk scarf and place over your eyes and areas of puffiness. The ice works to calm the swelling and instantly de-puff. Make sure not to leave the ice in one spot for too long—just long enough to see a dramatic difference.
02. Use blue-tinted eye drops (I recommend Innoxa Gouttes Bleues) and let them work their magic as you move on to step three. The blue tint counteracts redness in your eyes and is a great trick we use for film or photography to give eyes a little extra brightness and sparkle.
03. Store caffeine-infused eye cream in the refrigerator, and when ready to use, pat onto eye area with your ring finger. Used topically, caffeine is an amazing anti-inflammatory. Along with the cooling effect, this will give your delicate eye skin extra-firming action and a lifted appearance. Try Origins best-selling GinZing eye cream.
04. Now that your eyes are nice and bright and the puffiness dramatically reduced, give your lashes a good curl using an eyelash curler and waterproof mascara. Doing so will ensure the curl stays and will open up your eyes to help you look alert and refreshed.
05. Keep your makeup look clean and simple. Choose a bold lipstick that brightens your complexion and wear minimal eye makeup (just mascara and a little liner do the trick). I love blue-based red tones and punchy pink lipsticks on days that I feel blah—they instantly rejuvenate my look and make me appear more put together.
06. Lastly, keep peppermint essential oil in your bag and massage onto the pressure points behind the ears and back of your neck. Repeat this step throughout the day when you need a pick-me-up. The oil gives a cooling sensation and awakens your senses to help you feel more fresh and energized throughout the day.
There you have it! Give my behind-the-scenes techniques a try and hopefully you’ll notice that the more awake and refreshed you look, the better you’ll feel, especially on those mornings when you need a little boost.