If you’re looking to eat more veggies but are getting tired of chicken caesar salads, here’s a flavorful alternative: falafel “burgers.” These flavorful patties can be whipped up in less than thirty minutes and eaten as a sandwich or a wrap—or even tossed into a salad—whatever your heart desires!
Falafel burgers are full of essential nutrients, like iron and protein. They’re also low in fat, which is mostly unsaturated. The accompanying tahini sauce adds a delicate roasted sesame flavor. If you haven’t tried tahini before, it’s creamy, nutty, and made from ground sesame seeds—just think peanut butter, but better. Try to buy unhulled tahini if you can, since there are lots of vitamins, like Vitamin E and Vitamin Bs, in the husks. This sauce is perfect with falafels, but also great in any kind of sandwich or as a salad dressing.
Added bonus: These are great the day after too, so feel free to make two batches of these burgers and refrigerate the leftovers so you can grab them on the go.
Falafel Burgers and Tahini Sauce
1 can of cooked chickpeas, drained
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground coriander
juice of half a lemon
½ brown onion, chopped
½ cup edamame beans (sub with chickpeas if you can’t find)
1-2 tablespoons of buckwheat flour
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon unhulled tahini
1 tablespoon water
½ clove of garlic, minced (adjust to taste)
salt and pepper
01. Add all the ingredients for the falafels into a food processor and blend until everything is combined. The desired consistency should be thick and paste-like.
02. Place the falafel mixture into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it sit for 1-2 hours. This will allow the mixture to firm up and prevent them from falling apart in the pan.
03. Preheat your oven to 400 F (200 C).
04. Shape the falafel into small patties, about 2 inches wide and ½ inch thick. Place each falafel on a lightly oiled pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
05. Whisk the ingredients for the tahini sauce together, and season to taste.
06. Serve the falafel burgers with the tahini sauce in a pita pocket with salad or on the sandwich bread of your choice. Enjoy!