Like the guilty pleasure TV series you hope won't be cancelled now that you've caught on late (we're looking at you, Grey's Anatomy), copper has been enjoying its moment—for the past three years. This decor trend may have staying power. But in case it doesn't, there's no need to buy expensive copper furniture to add this metallic theme to your home. Transform accessories you already own for as little as $5 (or five minutes!). Here are five of our favorite copper DIYs found around the interwebs.
And be sure to enter our giveaway below for a chance to try one of these cute projects at home! Contest ends Friday, Oct. 17th at 11:59 p.m. EST and is open to U.S. residents only. Must be 18 or older to participate.
01. Lavish Lampshades // Mandi, fearless DIYer at Vintage Revivals, transforms the "ugly lampshade" into a gorgeous pendant light. If you too see ugly lampshades in your home and think, "Every time I look at them I die a little inside," then this project is for you, girlfriend.
02. A Succulent Update // Like the copper trend, I keep wondering when the whole succulent craze will taper. I left for Spain in 2012, came back to the U.S. in August, and you know what? Succulents are still happening. Don't get me wrong: Succulents are adorable. But they often seem stuck in the seventies. Maybe it's time to give in and dress them up for the twentieth century. "In about five minutes, for less than $1 a piece," you'll have modern little copper planters via the creative folks at Curbly.
03. Dip Your Display // Who can say no to copper-dipped bud vases that stretch your dollar with flowers? Amy of Homey Oh My!says, "Instead of buying or putting together a whole arrangement, you can just get a small bunch of one variety and spread them across a few vases to create a floral display for less." Click on over to see her bring a little sass to glass she scored at Ross for under $5.
04. Look of Luxury // Since my husband, two kids, and I moved into our NYC studio apartment (you read that right), I've been on the lookout for some classy yet affordable vanity organizers. I'm on the lookout no longer. Marisa, the mastermind behind lifestyle blog Freutcake, MacGyvered these plain white ceramic bowls into works of copper art.
05. Get Glowing // My fave copper DIY is this copper barn light IKEA hack by Kristin over at Kojodesigns. Authentic copper light fixtures are gorgeous. But at $200+ a pop, it's a price point I'm not ready to commit to in this design phase of my life. Lucky for my budget, it's a chic and commitment-worthy $30 project!
Rustoleum is hosting a giveaway for 4 lucky winners! Click on "Leave a Blog Post Comment" above for a chance to win a can of their metallic spray paint in aged copper. Good luck!